The official of the US forces in Afghanistan has confirmed the death of Mullah Fazlullah on Wednesday in an Air strike attack.

“US forces conducted a counter-terrorism strike on June 13 in Kunar province, close to the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, which targeted a senior leader of a designated terrorist organisation,” a spokesman for US Forces-Afghanistan, Lt Col Martin O’Donnell said.

O’Donnell, however, did not specify that Fazullah was the target.

There has been no confirmation from the TTP regarding the strike and reports of Fazlullah’s death.

The strike comes amid a cease-fire between the Afghan Taliban and government security forces to mark the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

Commander of US Forces-Afghanistan and the NATO-led Resolute Support Mission General John Nicholson had said the United States would adhere to the cease-fire announced by Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.

“As previously stated, the ceasefire does not include US counter-terrorism efforts against ISIS (Daesh), al-Qaida, and other regional and international terrorist groups, or the inherent right of US and international forces to defend ourselves if attacked,” O’Donnell said.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here